Taxes & Deductions

Tax Reporting Documents

W-2 Tax Documents

Please click here for information on W-2 distribution.

1042-S Tax Documents

The 1042-S form is accessible electronically via an employee's GLACIER account. If you encounter problems in retrieving the tax document, please contact Central Campus Payroll at

For other tax reporting documents, you may find the contact information for specific forms here.

Tax Withholding

If employees do not change their withholdings, the system will default both Federal and State Tax claims to Single 0.

Employees who are US citizens or permanent residents may update tax withholdings (including claiming tax exempt status) through the UC Office of the President's At Your Service Website. Listed in the Income & Taxes menu is a link for "Tax Withholdings." In the new page, the menu on the left has options for exemption and withholding changes. For more detailed instructions, please review the document posted below. 

             W4 Instructions

Employees who are neither UC citizens nor permanent residents are not able to make changes in At Your Service Online. In order to update their tax withholding, non-resident aliens are required to complete the Nonresident W-4 (see below) and fax it to Human Resources (HR) Records Management at (510)-664-9018. Resident aliens are required to complete the regular W-4 and fax it to Human Resources (HR) Records Management at (510)-664-9018. To find out whether you are considered a resident or non-resident alien, please consult your GLACIER account (see Foreign National Taxation below).

At this time, Postdoctoral Scholars are also unable to update their tax information online. Postdoctoral Scholars will have to complete and fax the appropriate form to Human Resources (HR) Records Management at (510)-664-9018.


W-4 Tax Withholding (Form UC W-4/DE 4)


W-4 Tax Withholding Form - Nonresident (Form UC W-4NR/DE 4)

Foreign National Taxation

All employees who are neither US citizens nor permanent residents must complete a profile in the Online Tax System called GLACIER. After you are entered into the HR database, the Payroll Analyst will contact you regarding this process. Further information about the GLACIER tax compliance system can be found here.

DCP and Medicare Deductions for Student Employees

The DCP Casual and Medicare deductions are taken when a student is not registered for at least half-time. If a student's schedule does not fulfill the unit requirement, s/he is subject to 7.5% DCP Casual and 1.45% Medicare deductions. The DCP Casual funds are refundable after one terminates from the UC System. If you are no longer working for the UC, you can notify Fidelity Retirement Services by calling 1-866-682-7787.

Filing Taxes

For help with filing your taxes, please consult a tax advisor. Below are links to other resources. International scholars and students can seek information here.

Below are other tax filing resources:


Internal Revenue Service - (800) 829-1040


California Franchise Tax Board - (800) 852-5711



University of Texas at Austin Guide for Nonresident Aliens